The images were purposely chosen to stare accusingly at the viewer.
To tie up some lose ends and test out some ideas following on from this;
- Show text in place of the animals
- Show two monitors; one displaying a wild creature another displaying a captive creature of the same species
- Show a video of an extinct creature with and without its name besides it
- Is it subtle and gloomy like a natural habitat or stark like gallery lighting?
- Where does the languages of art and the zoo/museum appear incongruous and where do they sit together?
- The observational zoo video is intriguing – why is that not developed further at this stage?
- What is the status of the still imagery, used in the installations, and the filming you have undertaken in the zoo? (critique these using film language IE documentary, interview)
- The space has qualities that are somewhere between hide or a study place and a presentational place used as an environment. Can you clarify what your intentions are here?
- Why is the documentary about the ocean part of this installation – is there a deliberate confusion of subjects here – between the land and sea?
- A strong knowledge of installation practices would be useful (if the confusion is intentional of study and zoo space)so that you are armed with languages that exist inside and outside of art.Where do museums and galleries share conventions and where do they differ?
- How would an artist approach this as opposed to a zoo keeper/manager?
- Could you engage with curators to understand these relationships more?
- Have you asked at the zoo to speak t people who decide what would be in a habitat?
- Are we as the audience being observed by representations of animals?
- Where are you sourcing your images from and why are you deciding on these ones – for what reason?
- What can you decide to film at the zoo and for what purpose?try and get in position of your artistic purpose before you re-visit these sites
- Is the fantasy element still present – the zoo being a fantasy of the natural. A trash aesthetic possibly?